From Episode 5, here are Mousetalgia's interpretations of two of the dishes once served at Disneyland's Tahitian Terrace in Adventureland. Enjoy!
Serves 4 adults
3 c. cooked chicken
3/4 c. pineapple
1 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. roasted, salted almonds
1/3 c. shredded coconut
Salt and pepper
2 fresh pineapples to use as serving dish.
1/4 c. plain yogurt
1/4 c. mayonnaise
1/2-3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4-1/2 t. celery seed
1. Season chicken strips with salt and pepper and grill on BBQ or in pan.
2. Slice pineapples in half, length wise, leaving stems attached. Hollow out pineapple, and set aside to use as a serving dish. If stem becomes detached, reattach with toothpicks.
3. Chop chicken into bite size pieces and mix with chopped celery, almonds, coconut and pineapple.
4. Mix dressing ingredients in separate bowl and pour over salad mixture.
5. Fill bottom of each pineapple with shredded lettuce and fill with salad mixture. Garnish with extra chunks of pineapple, almonds and coconut.
Pineapple Ribs and Cantonese Rice
Serves 5-6 adults.
Beef ribs (enough to feed your party)
2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. white vinegar
1/4 t. molasses (to taste)
3/4 c. crushed pineapple
1. Preheat oven to 400. Cook ribs under foil for 30-40 min.
2. In a saucepan, mix brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and molasses. Simmer on low heat for 40 min.
3. Add 3/4 cup crushed pineapple to sauce mixture and simmer for 5 min.
4. Remove ribs from over and pour sauce over meat. Make sure and cook meat side down to ensure meat is fully covered with sauce. To prevent ribs from burning, place an empty cookie sheet on the lower rack of the oven. This will displace the heat and keep the ribs from burning.
5. Cook the ribs about 40 more minutes, or until they are done.
3 c. cooked white rice
2 cloves of garlic
1 chopped onion
1/4 c. chopped green onion
1-2 T. soy sauce.
1. Cook white rice as indicated on package.
2. Heat wok to high heat and grease with oil.
3. Sauté the garlic and onions in wok.
4. Add 2 eggs and cook until scrambled.
5. Add the rice and mix together.
6. Add soy sauce to taste and continue to cook for 3-5 min.
Serve Ribs over a heaping pile of Cantonese rice and enjoy!